Saturday, April 13, 2013

Berlin 1

It was 2 o'clock this morning and I wasn't asleep.   All around me plane passengers were in various stages of unsleepfulness, with many on board screens silently showing movies of various types. I remembered how it all started.   The excitement when the Rand Park team won the materials video competition and were told we had all won a trip to Berlin.   I think there's a photo of us with our mouths open somewhere. I remember how three weeks ago I couldn’t walk to the staff room from my car without resting on the way and how I had gone to the healing team at church and asked them to pray that I could walk in Berlin and do all the things a tourist should do. Now after a certain amount of pressure when it looked like the visas weren't going to go through and a lot of prayer,   we were finally on our way to Berlin.   Alex and I had met at the Gautrain station and travelled to the airport by high speed train. 

  We met up with Sanusha and Keagan at the airport where we were later joined by Danilla who is our representative from the German Chamber of Commerce who is accompanying us..  
 After bidding goodbye to loving family we were on our way. We have had a lovely day.   We met Reece at Berlin and we were taken to our hotel (NH Berlin Frankfurter Allee) We found a Pizza place near our hotel so we had Pizza for lunch. 


Then this afternoon we went on a sightseeing tour.
The Berlin wall.



On the other side of the road was the Ice Hockey stadium.













The Brandenburg Gate with actors playing soldiers ready for a photo. 








The Reichstag Building


And the Charlottenburg Schloss


 




The Victory Monument 


and the Emperors square.



After the tour we did a little shopping. and exploring near the hotel.   I managed to get a German sim card for my phone and I have been able to send a whatsapp message to Keagan and Sanusha so we are getting ourselves organised.
Although we didn’t get much sleep last night, everybody is still up and planning more shopping trips to buy ice skates and sports shoes.   This is not going to be a restful holiday bur rather an adventure

No comments:

Post a Comment